Monday, June 21, 2010

Steps Through Fear

Throughout the day I have been given promptings to write my kinda-friend Joe a note to express my feelings. Problem was, I didn't know what my feelings were concerning him. He's a great guy, a year younger than I am, and is in the Army. Tomorrow morning he ships off for sixth months in Iraq and then a year in Afghanistan. What do I tell the man? I've never faced the situation he is facing. I've not even talked to him all that much despite his wanting to talk to me (Yeah, it was a neglectful move on my part). So at first, i struggled with the prompting, but knew it was a saygobedo moment. I eventually mustered up the courage to write him a short note which was as sincere as it could possibly be at the time of almost paralyzing insecurity; for my emotions have not been shown to Joe before.
After the note was written it needed some deliverin, but i had to work all day (from 8am-10pm, and did not have the time to do such deliverin. Eventually, the propmting took hold to leave my work and deliever it right now (at like 9pm). When I got to his house I found only his mom there in the kitchen, very composed, and yet still fairly distraught.
"How are you holding up?" I asked
"Oh, I'm doing good, doing really really well." She seemed rather unconvinced.
after talking a few moments about hos the boys went off to golf for the day, the distinct impression came that she needed a hug, from me, and right then. I don't know how she felt about it, but i felt much more comforted after the hug (despite playing hooky from work to deliver the note).
I guess it's just one of those things; we can't always see the end from the beginning. Joe, thank you for serving my friend, may God be with you, and more importantly for you, may you be with God.

1 comment:

  1. Thats a good point I heard someone saying [What we have to fear is fear itself.We have to conquer our fears because it will come up in different life situations again and again till we face the fear which other wise grows and grows into something giantic .What do we really fear .....?

    ReplyDelete